I’m at a crossroads in my life. Again. Until now, here’s a quick summary of my life of the big crossroads, or “so what’s next” moments in my life….
- Born in Brisbane, Australia. Baby, toddler development. So what’s next?
- Kindergarten and Pre School. So what’s next?
- Primary School. So what’s next?
- Our family moved from Brisbane (city) to Maleny (country). So what’s next?
- More Primary School. So what’s next?
- High School. So what’s next?
The decisions above were all made for me. Then I started making them myself.
- Job or university? Decided on a full time job. So what’s next?
- A series of full time jobs, building a career in the travel industry and some overseas trips to begin to explore the world. So what’s next?
- Moving to the UK with an ancestry visa to “try life abroad”. So what’s next?
- Moved to The Netherlands to be with a Dutch man I’d met travelling. So what’s next?
Here, I started making decisions as part of a couple, and then as part of my own family.
- Realised to integrate into life in The Netherlands, I needed to learn Dutch and get a degree. Started working on both. So what’s next?
- We got married and had our first child. So what’s next?
- We moved from The Netherlands (back) to Australia (in 2007). So what’s next?
- I finished my degree, we had another child, bought a house and I started a business (Zestee) as well as what have become two ongoing side projects (Dutch Australian & Professional Parents). Yes, started doing a few “what’s next” all in one go both in this post and in life! So what’s next?
- We relocated (mid 2012) back to The Netherlands and spent some time settling (back) in. I decided to restart my business (Zestee) here in The Netherlands in January 2013. My husband has continued his career here. My children are now both at school. So what’s next?
Yes, that’s 38 years in what probably took about a minute to read. It leads me (and you reading this) to today – as I type this post – motivated by quite some soul searching lately! It’s quite a unique experience to firstly consciously recognise that I am at a crossroads, secondly to know that I’ve been here lots of times before and thirdly, that I have quite a lot of say in what the next “dots” are going to be in that list above. However, that is not an easy process and I’m feeling rather stuck right now.
Why a blog post about this? I’ve blogged for a few years now and there are 3 main reasons why I love blogging, especially when I’m in the process of making decisions:
- I’m sure there are lots of others out there who have either been through this experience, are going through it or will go through it and I believe sharing helps.
- In a few years, I’d like to look back on this post myself, or show my daughters.
- The process of writing about this and sharing it forces me to think things through more clearly (using dot points and numbered lists might just reveal some clarity? If not, perhaps some comments or re-reading later?)
So, what IS next? The next step is for another blog post…..analysing some options.
Meanwhile, I’d love to know. Do you ever ask yourself “so what’s next”? Are you at a crossroads right now in your life? Can you see the crossroads in your past?
This is a personal blog post from Renée – founder of Professional Parents Network, Dutch Australian and Zestee Social Media School. New to Professional Parents Network? You might like to sign up for our e-newsletter to keep up to date, or visit the blog tab for an overview of all the articles, which is a mixture of personal posts, guest posts, ideas and information – all with the common goal of bringing you inspiration to find your own best family business balance. Thanks for visiting, would love to connect via a comment below! You can also join the Professional Parents Facebook community, follow us on Twitter, Pinterest or Google+.